Friday, 11 December 2009

A date with Puteri and the Katak (Princess and the Frog)

Today is definitely a day that deserved a big asterisk on my Butterfly book (i.e. my diary.. hahaha pls bear with my deliration on naming each and every of my favourite non-living object). Okay folks, so the story started with the abandonment crime committed by my workaholic bf & also roommie who threw herself to her boyfriend's visit. Out of boredom, i decided to date myself instead :)

As last minute, or rather, as impusive as it must always be, I popped down to the cinema nearby. Princess & the Frog was the show that filled up 1.5 hours of this particular evening. Feeling a bit lost - erm..it was actually my FIRST TIME EVER to catch a movie in the cinema alone - I appeared to the ticket counter and kept telling myself how cool I am to watch a WALT DISNEY CARTOON ALONE, opps no no, should be TOGETHER with gazillions of kiddos in the cinema; while subconsciously, me naughtily hoping there would be another lonely soul sharing the same luck as me :P

6.50pm. Holding popcorn and coke on my right, my left hand started scrounging for ticket in the tight pocket of mine. 'Urgh...this is EXACTLY the time when you need someone to hold stuff for you, silly pig!' - the restless negative demon in me couldn't stop grumbling. 'Cant ya just shut it up for a mo? Just for a freaking mo! Im so bloody cool, can't ya see? Can't ya see?' - the other side of me fired back. Okie dokie, as cool as it seemed, I strude with all pride to Hall 4, appearing as the first person who sat right in the middle of this gigantic movie chamber.

Kiddos, mommies and daddies started filling up the seats as clock was about to strike 7pm. Glancing, glancing and glancing, trying hard to do it in my most natural way, I couldn't help looking for someone who sat alone. Let's see...ahem..Row H..kids n sisters..nope nope..Row G.. Bf & gf...yucks yikes yikes...get out of my sight please...okay okay maybe Row F....rowF..row F..kids..momm..and..GOTCHA!!! THERE YOU GO!!! Mr Youngman-i-dont-know-your-name-but-really-glad-to-see-you-glancing-around-for-another-lonely-soul-like-you! HAHAHA. Ya ya me! me! over here over here!!! But mister, sit real still at your own seat okayyy... I have no intention to share your bloody loneliness. I have my own to attend to too.

ANDDDDD... the show began shortly.

'Yuckssss!! I will never ever kiss a frog in my life! Never ever!'. As expected, the little black girl who blurted this out kissed a frog in the end. Not quite as expected, she turned into a frog together with this hedonistic frog-prince upon kissing the slimy creature (OK it's not SLIMY, it's MUCUS- according to the movie). To erase the spell casted on them, these two froggies went through 'thick and thin', weaving in some bollywood's oh-i-bumped-into-you-and-kissed-onto-your-lips-by-total-accident cliche to bring out how they realised life won't be meaningful without each other.

To my surprise, I was actually sooo into the movie that I started giggling to myself like a 10-year-old. Haha maybe even more frequent than the cute little girl who sat next to me. Yea, I like the movie and would definitely rate it 4/5 (note note: based on personal liking only la! Don't come and tell me my taste was bad after you spend a few bucks zoning out in the cinema okayy). Why? Because it made me chuckled like a little girl, as I got amazed by those funny comical characters e.g. the Alligator who wanted to be a jazz musician so much, the Firefly who took the eastern star as his dreamy darling and the DOG whose name is STELLA!! I simply love laughters that came from a pure innocent heart, where cocoons of complications in life were all melted far far away. I also particularly like the multicultural setting which was based on an ambitious black girl coming from a lower-class society who wanted to bring people of all walks of life together by opening a gourmet restaurant. Like Anabelle said, it's so 1Malaysia la! Lolz.

However, I think some part of the plot is a bit dark for children. I myself got a bit upset when Mr FireFly had to die in order to reincarnate as a star, to be with the love of his life. Hmmm I think children shouldn't be exposed to the dark side of life too early, as pure happiness in childhood is just way too short and only to be dearly missed when adolescence takes its place.

Anyway, all is good about this experience. Who says a forlorn soul can't find his/her way out? Im pretty sure that Mr
Youngman-i-dont-know-your-name-but-really-glad-to-see-you-glancing-around-for-another-lonely-soul-like-you had a pretty good moment for the evening too! :)

P/s: Although a light peck of joy is still very much preferred after an enjoyable show *hint :P

1 comment:

Qing Xi said...

I agree, super agree. I was watching show alone in my room today with some coffee beside. We really have to learn how to entertain ourselves, cannot stay forlorn forever!

Let me know the outcome of your meeting with your doctor. :P